Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you give me design ideas for my BTO flat renovation?

Can you give me design ideas for my BTO flat renovation?

I will finally be getting my keys for my BTO flat soon. That is why Iím now looking for IDís and/or contractors to do my place. Would you care giving me design ideas in order to renovate my place? I want to have what I need and want ready before I talk to an ID or contractor. I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

My advice is not to get an ID but a contractor instead. You will save money that way. You can then look at design and architectural magazines for design ideas.

Actually, I’m having trouble planning the space for my Master’s bedroom. My wife wants a big closet but if we put up one we’ll only have around 40cm walking space from the closet to the bed!

You should not have a big closet built then. Explain to your wife that it’s more important to have a wider walking space than a big closet.

A closet’s depth is normally about 600mm so that the clothes hang properly inside. If you get a queen size bed there will not be much walking space. I suggest you make a portion of the closet in front of the bed smaller in depth. However, you might only be able to put in folded clothes on that side of the closet and not be able to hang clothes.

Why don’t you combine two rooms together? If not, with a big closet you will be very cramped in the Master’s bedroom. My Master’s bedroom is also small. I was only able to put a closet with 6ft measurement and a king size bed. However, we were left with only 600 mm walking space.

I have reservations against tearing down walls. I also intend to use the spare room as a guest room and as a future kid’s room. I’m now thinking of customizing the closet in front of the bed to measure only about 500mm. That way, we’’ be left with another 500mm walking space. Right now, we are on the lookout for floor tiles and toilet wall tiles because we don’t like the HDB tiles.

Don’t get printed tiles because for most printed tiles you cannot use harsh chemicals to clean it because the print will either fade or get destroyed. Better check with the store owners about how to clean printed tiles if you intend to get some.

I also want to install a mirror on the wall. However, I have some safety concerns about this. Is it safe to do it? One ID I talked to said that there will be no pre-plastering of the wall before gluing the mirror which means if the wall is uneven, there will be minimum glue contact between the wall and the mirror.

Another way to do it is to put plywood on the wall and then glue the mirror on the plywood so the adhesion is better. There will be extra costs for this though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast