Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you give me design ideas for my BTO flat renovation?

I wanted to put a mirror on my wall, too but I abandoned the idea because there will be extra expense and I have already exceeded my budget. If you want to put plywood between the mirror and the wall, it will cost you 30-40%.

Mirrors are still good to “enlarge” the small space that you have. I can’t get past the safety issues though especially since we plan to have children soon.

I put a lot of mirrors on my walls but I had my contractor place them on plywood before attaching them to the walls. It’s safer that way.

I talked to 5 ID’s when I renovated my new Punggol flat a few months ago. They quoted me from $18K to $20K. Some even included site coordination, consultation and GST in their fees. Better to just look at design and architectural magazines for design ideas than hiring an ID. I finally settled on a contractor.

My renovation consists of doing kitchen cabinets, window and window grills, I-box and wiring, and mirror installation in the dining area and 2 bathrooms. We did not bother to have fancy designs but opted for a much simpler one. All in all, the renovation cost me less than $10K.

We also managed to bring down our design expectations and have taken a lot of things out of our “want” list. We also plan to buy ready-made items. I expect to also spend less than $10K for our renovation.

We expect to spend less than that. HDB has provided the floor and wall tiles, doors and toilet bowl, shower and sink for the bathrooms so we are not planning to change them. We also plan to buy ready-made items like shoe cabinet, TV console, display shelves and bookshelves because custom-built ones cost much. My husband wants us to move in as soon as we bring in the bed! I’m trying to persuade him to do the renovation in parts though, like do the kitchen now and then later when we have the money, do the renovation for other parts of the house.

If I were you I would have items like shelves and such custom built. Ready-made ones are not durable because they use hollow or cushion plywood. They are cheap but they do not last.

ID’s will give you sky high prices because they earn by commission. They also only give you and provide drawings or 3D renderings of their ideas. It’s the contractors who do the hard work. I don’t think it’s worth spending a whole lot on design ideas when you can get them from magazines and forums like this unless you have deep pockets and you want your house to look like a hotel.

I have a very simple renovation to do. I doubt if it will necessitate any special design element. My renovation only includes: painting, kitchen cabinets, plumbing, electrical work, bathroom screen door, bedroom closet and feature wall.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast